Contenido de la página
- 1 Mixed Mofongo Recipe in Cheese Sauce
The Mixed Mofongo is a delicious dish made from fried bananas, cheese sauce and some rich mixed meats, this recipe of Mixed Mofongois very popular in many Food Trucks on the streets of the Dominican Republic, today we will show you each step you must follow to make this delicious dish of Mixed Mofongo in Cheese Sauce.
Some time ago we published a Traditional Mofongo Recipe, you can enter and also learn to prepare it, although the steps are very similar the Mixed Mofongo brings a plus that is Cheese Sauce and Mixed Meats.
¿What is Mofongo?
Mofongo is a dish made from fried plantains that are subsequently mashed and served with garlic, then a ball is formed and served on a plate.
The Traditional Mofongo is prepared with crisp pork rinds, this dish is considered as lunch, dinner or as a light meal, the latter is aimed at those staff who leave nightclubs at dawn and need this quick meal to calm the effect of alcohol.
Variants of Mofongo
The mofongo is quite similar to mangú which is very popular in the Dominican Republic, instead since Puerto Rico is part of the United States, different American traditions have been created that reach the archipelago that includes the Thanksgiving Day, this time the Puerto Ricans stuff their turkey with mofongo, instead of filling it with bread as is traditional.
In Cuba, traditionally it is prepared fufu banana which is also very similar to mofongo, but in this case the bananas are boiled instead of fried.
In Colombia, the cayeye is a breakfast dish that is made with cooked and mashed green plantain.
¿What is the origin of Mofongo?
Its history has been marked by various cultures. First, that of the Taínos, a Native American ethnic group, and then that of the Spanish settlers who arrived in the 15th century. The latter needed labor to establish themselves, but the Taínos were not numerous enough. So they brought slaves from Africa who also came with the ancestor of the mofongo, called fufu.
The fufu is made with boiled and crushed flours made of starchy vegetables such as cassava, bananas or yams, the resulting mass is eaten with a sauce.
Mixed Mofongo Recipe in Cheese Sauce
For the Mofongo
- 1 lb pork rind.
- 1 cup of oil for frying.
- 2 teaspoons of salt.
- 4 green bananas.
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic.
For the Cheese Sauce
- 200 gr cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- 2 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- 3 cups of milk.
- 1 chorro of white wine, dry, optional.
- Salt. to taste.
- Pepper, black powder.
Steps to prepare Mofongo
- Heat the oil over medium heat and fry the plantains until golden brown on all sides for about 3 to 5 minutes. We remove from the oil and place on a paper towel.
- Now we proceed to mash the garlic and salt using a pestle, now we add the bananas and mash, the pork rind and continue mashing to combine. (You can divide it into portions to make it easier and fit on the pylon.
- We form the balls with the mixture of the banana and pork rinds, we place in the small bowls.
Steps to prepare the Cheese Sauce
- We grate the cheddar cheese and reserve it.
- In a pan over low heat add the butter so that it melts, add the tablespoons of flour and stir until mixed.
- Add the milk and keep stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until it melts, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- We taste and serve with the mofongo.